Got a question about our Graduate Schemes?
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply?
- Click here to begin your online application. All candidates should apply via our Graduate website – we don’t accept applications via any other method.
- When’s the closing date for applications?
- The closing date for all applications will be 31 December 2017.
- What qualifications do I need in order to apply?
- 300 UCAS points and/or a 2:1 degree
For the Finance Scheme it’s also essential that you have a minimum of a Grade A in Maths. For the IT, Commercial and Retail Schemes there is a minimum requirement of a grade B in Maths and English.
- Can I apply for more than one scheme?
- We understand it’s a difficult choice – but we can only accept an application for one scheme.
We advise you read about all our graduate schemes and from this decide which scheme you feel you’ll be most suited to and that you’d most like to apply for.
- I already work for Halfords – can I apply?
- Yes of course – as long as you are a recent graduate with the relevant qualifications, we would welcome your application.
- I haven’t graduated yet – can I apply?
- In order to apply for our Graduate Schemes you’ll need to obtain your degree by the time you start the scheme you have applied for.
For all of our Graduate schemes the start date will be August 2018.
- Do I need retail experience to apply?
- For all schemes a genuine passion for retail is essential!
For the retail scheme ideally you’ll have some experience (but it’s not essential) gained from working in a retail environment. It doesn’t have to be to the same level of the position itself, it might be that you’ve worked part-time in retail whilst at university.
- What does the Selection process look like?
- You can view our selection process here.
- What happens once I’ve completed my online application?
- In the first instance you’ll receive an automated notification to say we’ve received your application.
Following this, your application will be reviewed by our Resourcing team. If successful you’ll receive either a call or an email inviting you to take part in the next step of our selection process – a telephone interview.
- How do I find out if I am successful?
- During each step of our Selection Process, the Resourcing team will keep in contact with you to let you know the status of your application. This could be via email or phone call. But please be patient and bear in mind we’ll be receiving high volumes of applications.
- If I’m unsuccessful, can I request feedback?
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive it’s not always possible to give feedback for your initial online application. However if you’re unsuccessful following a telephone interview or selection centre we’ll provide you with feedback upon request.
- I can’t attend my telephone interview/the selection centre/final stage interview. What do I do?
- You’ll need to let the Resourcing team know as soon as possible.
For a telephone interview we’ll do our best to reschedule to a more suitable date and time.
For our Selection Centres, we only have limited places available and only on the dates stated. If you’re unable to attend for any reason it’s paramount that you let the Resourcing team know ideally a minimum of 3 days before you are due to attend. Due to our schemes popularity we’ll have a shortlist of candidate’s on-hold pending application withdrawal.
- What should I wear if I’m invited to attend a Selection Centre or final stage interview?
- If you’re invited to attend one of our Selection Centres, the dress code for all our schmes is smart casual or business dress - whatever you feel most comfortable in.
- What can I do in terms of preparation?
- We recommend you research the Graduate scheme that you’re applying for, as well as Halfords as a business – from our Hands-on Behaviours and work ethics to plans and visions and key people within our organisation.
For the Selection Centre you’ll be given some pre-work to produce and bring along with you on the day, but you’ll receive full guidelines on what this will entail nearer the time.
- When will the Selection Centres take place?
- For all schemes, the Selection Centres will take place in January/February 2018 - dates to be confirmed.
- What can I expect at my interview/assessment day?
- Find out more about our selection process here and what you can expect at the selection centre.
- Do I need a driving licence for the job?
- For the Retail Scheme you’ll need to have a full UK driving licence by the time you’re due to start the position. You don’t need to hold the licence upon application, but must hold it when your position commences. All job offers are subject to having a full clean driving licence upon start date.
For the Commercial, Finance and IT Schemes a driving licence would be beneficial for visiting stores and external meetings but is not a prerequisite.
- I want to apply for a non-graduate programme with Halfords. Am I in the right place?
- For all other vacancies please visit our careers website www.halfordscareers.com
- Do you sponsor work permits?
- Unfortunately Halfords are not able to sponsor work permits.
- What documents do I need to provide if I’m invited to attend a Selection Centre?
- If you’re invited to attend one of our Selection Centres you’ll need to bring the following along with you:
Your proof of eligibility to work in the UK. This can either be in the form of your passport or birth certificate (please bring along your NI card to accompany).
- Is relocation support available?
- Subject to significant relocation to Redditch being necessary.